A list that I’m so excited to share and compile with you guys! This list has been 5 trips in the making – gathered from online recommendations, Japanese magazines, my Japanese friends, and my own chance-upon luck!
There are many more cafes in Tokyo (apart from what’s on this list) that I’ve been to, so this list is not completely exhaustive. However, this list has been curated to only feature cafes that I personally feel are “Instagram-Worthy” (they have all been featured on mine!), perfect for your OOTDs and your Instagram feeds!
P.S. Be sure to be nice and mindful and order something from these places before snapping pics, some establishments are quite picky about this!
5 Chome-19-6 Hiroo, 渋谷区 Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 150-0012, Japan
- Daily 10am – 7.30pm
- All-white interiors with soy-milk-based smoothies? Yes please!
1 Chome-16-11 Tomigaya, 渋谷区 Shibuya-ku, Tōkyō-to 151-0063, Japan
- Monday & Tuesday 8am – 10pm, Wednesday & Thursday 8am – 1am, Friday 8am – 2am, Saturday 9am – 2am, Sunday 9am – 12am.
- With its moody wooden interior, Fuglen is calling out for intellectual hipsters to come hang out.
Japan, 〒152-0035 Tōkyō-to, Meguro-ku, Jiyūgaoka, 1 Chome−8−18
- Daily 8am – 11.30pm
- Be sure to go early and grab the Instagram-worthy couch!
2 Chome-16-29 Jiyūgaoka, Meguro-ku, Tōkyō-to 152-0035, Japan
- Monday – Thursday 8.30am – 8pm, Friday & Weekends 8.30am – 10pm
- Their clam chowder and pastas are a must-try. On warmer days, you can sit out on their rooftop!
1 Chome-26-14 Jiyūgaoka, Meguro-ku, Tōkyō-to 152-0035, Japan
- Weekdays 10am – 5pm, Weekends 11am – 6pm
- Love this coffee booth in Jiyugaoka, pop by for a quick coffee to-go!
1 Chome-24-23 Jiyūgaoka, Meguro-ku, Tōkyō-to 152-0035, Japan
- Daily 11am – 6.30pm, Closed on Wednesdays
- My favourite place for traditional Japanese desserts. Housed in a traditional Japanese wooden home, go early to get seats by the window overlooking their in-house garden.
3 Chome-13 Minamiaoyama, Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 107-0062, Japan
- Daily 11am – 10pm
- I could hang out here all day! This “food court” is home to almost 10 or more different types of food vendors a la Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg. There is also a caravan that one can stay at (rent via Airbnb!).
Japan, 〒107-0062 Tōkyō-to, Minato-ku, 港区Minamiaoyama, 3丁目13
- Weekends 11am – 6pm, Weekdays 9.30am – 6pm, Closed on Tuesdays.
- A cute little wooden hut located right behind Commune 2nd.
3 Chome-17-1 Minamiaoyama, 港区 Minato-ku, Tōkyō-to 107-0062, Japan
- Daily 9am – 7pm
- Watch out for the minimum order spend when visiting this café!
Eddy’s Ice Cream
Japan, 〒150-0001 東京都渋谷区Jingūmae, 4 Chome−26, 神宮前4-26-28 1F
- Daily 11am – 8pm
- Excessively decorated ice cream for the gram.
Japan, 〒150-0001 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya-ku, Jingūmae, 4 Chome−30−3, 東急プラザ 表参道 原宿
- Daily 8.30am – 11pm
- The Australian-born chain gets really crowded during the weekends, so try to do breakfast (order their pancakes) on weekdays instead!
Japan, 〒153-0042 Tōkyō-to, Meguro-ku, 目黒区Aobadai, 1 Chome−23−14, 斎藤ビル
- Daily 9am – 9pm
- Located right next to Cherry-Blossom filled river Naka-Meguro, this café will be perfect during the Cherry Blossom season. Their rugged concrete exterior is quite different from the clean bright aesthetic that Japanese cafes love to veer towards to.
Japan, 〒155-0032 Tōkyō-to, Setagaya-ku, Daizawa, 5 Chome−31, 代沢５丁目３１−８
- Sunday – Thursday 12pm – 8pm, Friday & Saturday 12pm – 10pm
- Get coffee in a bookstore dedicated entirely to Darwin’s Theory of Evolution!
4 Chome-2-39 Yanaka, Taitō-ku, Tōkyō-to 110-0001, Japan
- Daily 10 – 7.30pm, Closed on Wednesdays.
- Get coffee first, then rent a Tokyobike to explore the Yanaka region, which is filled with boutique stores, cultural sites, and unique cafes and restaurants!
3 Chome-37-11 Sendagi, Bunkyō-ku, Tōkyō-to 113-0022, Japan
- Thursday – Monday 8am – 6pm, Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- We didn’t manage to grab a picture as it was super crowded on the Sunday we went. A café I would go back to nonetheless!
Other cafes I can recommend that did not make it into this list, but I still feel are worth going: Café Gram in Jiyugaoka, Aoyama Flower Market in Omotesando, and Coffee Valley in Ikebukuro!
Till our next café-guide! If you have any more suggestions on where to go in Tokyo, do leave a comment below! x